Thursday, March 01, 2007

More Tales Of Death And Destruction

My office sits by the motorway. No big deal you might think, lots of offices sit next to motorways. In Glasgow it's a wee bit different, as my office also happens to be about five minutes walk from the city centre. Council bawbags today and council bawbags of yesteryear have one thing in common. They're all bawbags. I'm sure if it didn't already exist, some prick at Glasgow City Council would come up with the ripper idea of chucking the M8 through the middle of the city and sticking about half a dozen junctions within a one mile stretch of it. How there aren't more accidents I'll never know....

Anyway, we all got something to look at today. A roaring sound signaled to us that either a 747 was making an emergency landing on the Kingston Bridge or some unlucky fucker was in the process of having his or her car written off. We all trundled over to the window in time to see an articulated lorry and what I think used to be a brown Vauxhall estate of some kind parked up against the central armco barrier. The truck driver was out in an instant phoning the emergency services, maybe his boss too, maybe to let him know the delivery would be just a wee bit late. The poor sod in the car looked to be in shock, as well he might after being rearended by a huge freight truck. Failing that he'd been injured and couldn't have left the car even if he'd wanted to....... It was like some alternate universe Smokey & The Bandit scene and I was just waiting to see if Boss Hog and Enus were going to roll up in a comically wrecked Plymouth police car to dispense justice, when the supervisor appeared over our collective shoulders and ordered us back to our desks. The cunt!

What else............Oh My! Spring is here! Well, for a day at least. Is it me or did it feel positively humid for the time of year this lunchtime? Maybe not, but it got me wondering when, or even if I'm going to ditch my trusty scarf for another year. The days I've forgotten to take it with me, I've felt more than just a little naked without it. Naked? Did I just say that? Ok, I feel a bit exposed shall we say, like I'm missing something vital, even when it's not particularly cold. If anyone I know sees me still wearing the damn thing in May, then please feel free to hide it, I'll learn to live without it......
Bon Nuit mes Enfants!

4 comments:

SzélsőFa said...

It has been raining on and off for like 3 days in a row and I began feel like in Great Britain. This sort of weather is not usual over here. It's either raining or not. But this weather of yours....invaded the continent, bwah-hah-hah.

Anonymous said...

The best entertainment we've ever had from our office window was when the attendant of the car park (and I lose the term loosely: in the city centre every patch of waste ground behind a building is premium parking space) got into a fight with some guys who were trying to unload their truck there. There were no actual fisticuffs, but one very exciting moment when one of the gentlemen procured an iron bar which he proceeded to swing at the attentand's head.

It was all over too quickly though. Since then, the only fun we've had is watching people go to the toilet at the office across the way.

iLL Man said...

Szelso Fa - The rainfall in the past few months has been pretty bad. Bloody low pressure. We do get some nice days, but as far as I can see, no snow and virtually no frost. Anyway, sometimes rainy days make for very good photos....

Lism - I'd love to see a punch up at work. Sounds quite the thing to break up the monotony. Also, watching people in other buildings is one of my favourite sports....

iLL Man said...

"Also, watching people in other buildings is one of my favourite sports.... "

Er...That didn't come out the way I wanted it to......

I mean at work.