Sunday, June 22, 2008

Down By The River (Part 2)

White Rose thingy (to give it it's proper name)
Pigeon on a bridge.
Bumble Bee's Arse
Really, really wee wild flowers. Almost too wee.
Strange cobweb like covering on this tree. I have no idea what that's about.

I can't emphasise enough how much I love rivers. In this case, the river Kelvin and it never fails to throw up something new and interesting. The wild foliage that grows along it's banks is, to me anyway, a hundred times more captivating than any meticulously planned and cultivated flower bed, and it's a place that's just teeming with wildlife. You always seem to catch sight of something out of the ordinary. That said, on hot days this can consist of loud, pasty skinned ned families, stripped to the waist and sunbathing/fishing/loitering on sand banks with their carry outs and an out of control dog. It's been a while since I've stumbled across this particular species, but you never kbnow your luck sometimes.........

8 comments:

Rob said...

Those cobwebs remind me of that X-Files episode where those bugs in the trees would catch people in the forest and wrap them in their cocoons.

Creepy.

iLL Man said...

I have a feeling something like this was reported not far away, about three years ago. Failing that it's someones idea of a prank.

It did look mighty odd and not a little grisly.

Cocktails said...

I'm sorry but those spiderwebs are downright creepy. They're probably just sacs full of baby spiders, but they might well be evil, earth destroying monster spiders.

Sorry been getting into the BBC4 B movie season a bit too much.

Hope you're putting together a George Carlin post! Sad news.

iLL Man said...

I'm still no nearer knowing what the cobwebs are. Anyone?

I'll have a short piece up on George Carlin either tonight or tomorrow.

SzélsőFa said...

These webs are hosting a certain species of worms that dwell upon that particular tree.
Will be back in a couple'o minutes with the rigt name.
*heads asking an entomologist*
The caption for the rose was great! And the photo, too!

SzélsőFa said...

The family is called Hyponameutidae in Latin, which means 'moth that creates web-like thingy'

The English is 'Ermine moth'.

iLL Man said...

Szelsofa - Thankyou! Brilliant stuff. I've been searching about on the net for what this might be, and now I know.......... =D

You're better than Google you know........

SzélsőFa said...

Wow, I am humbled, but you know, it's not my glory: I have an entomologist close at hand, that's all.