Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Bring Back National Service!



.........or 'Reality TV Osmosis Syndrome' And How To Live With It.

Ruddy hell! I've barely watched the rotting thing but I know who they all are and what they've all been up to. Big Brother has that effect, it pulls you in even if you don't watch it. Or want to watch it. Or even have access to a television..... Do you have an opinion? Who do you love/hate? Shilpa or Jade?

Let me answer these quickly. I love Dirk Benedict (steady on there!). He sounds slightly drunk when he talks and sits smoking cigars in the garden. Class! Neither Jade nor Shilpa amuse me. I imagine Shilpa can be a little trying, maybe a tad haughty. She is a Bollywood star after all. Is she like that? Dunno, never watched it................

See what I mean?

It's all my own fault of course. (Warning! Self Analysis Segment Ahead) I try to make out I hate soap operas and the like. I actually secretly love them, but I have to remove myself from the room lest I get too involved in the fiction. I don't mind submerging myself in a film for instance but that's just 90 minutes of yr life. Soap is a full time habit. If theres a responsible adult in the room, I'm fine, but otherwise, soaps disturb my mental balance greatly (poor dear!). BB is the same, but it's even more visceral since it involves people in genuine(if manipulated) situations. You empathise and despise all the more. You're aware all the more of the injustices and impossible situations that the (admittedly well paid) housemates get into. You take sides.............



Jade Goody of course you all know as a mentally subnormal Millionairess. She's also a deeply unpleasant human being. Ain't life lovely? The racial abuse issue raging outside the house seems to be capturing viewers though, as they team off into 'We Love Jade', 'We Love Shilpa' or 'We Love Dirk Benedict' (Naturally) camps. To be honest they're broad churches, encompassing a variety of perspectives (with the exception of the Dirk camp, for whom the issue is not in doubt......)

Go Dirk!

Or is this just another product of my now almost completely BB addled mind? God I hope so................

2 comments:

Lorna said...

It's amazing how BB seems to work its way into your mind without you intending it: I never consciously watch the thing, but somehow I know all about Leo Sayer's lack of underwear and the great oxo cube row. Scientists should write books about this whole BB osmosis thingy and associated mass mind control possibilities ;) ...

iLL Man said...

We could make some money out of this you know........ ;D