Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Great American Album



Ok, I've not given this one much thought of late, but I did pull out about forty or so CD's to whittle down, so I might as well follow it through. Some of you may remember I made a post a few days ago asking people for their 'Great American Albums'. Well, here's mine......(Oh joy!)

My list is a bit pish, I have to state. It's maybe a little too modern compared to Alan and Bock's lists submitted in the above link. This of course might raise the odd eyebrow and provoke reactions such as "Who the fuck is Sufjan Stevens?" It's also entirely subjective, as these things ought to be. So there....

If I've missed anything obvious, feel free to let me know.

In no particular order....

GP - Gram Parsons
Marquee Moon - Television
Fables Of The Reconstruction- REM
Ease Down The Road - Bonnie Prince Billy
Our Endless Numbered Days - Iron & Wine
The Trials of Van Occupanther - Midlake
Underfed - Plush
Smile - Brian Wilson
Deserters Songs - Mercury Rev
Under The Western Freeway - Grandaddy
Greetings From Michigan(The Great Lake State) - Sufjan Stevens
The Blue Moods Of Spain - Spain
American IV: The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash
Red Headed Stranger - Willie Nelson
Crooked Rain Crooked Rain - Pavement
Music From The Big Pink - The Band
Cold Roses - Ryan Adams
Through The Trees - The Handsome Family
Whatever Mortal - Papa M
Songs About Buildings & Food - Talking Heads
The Black Light - Calexico
On The Beach - Neil Young
Forever Changes - Love
Song Cycle -Van Dyke Parks
Highway 61 - Bob Dylan


8 comments:

iLL Man said...

You Prick! Drop dead!

Anonymous said...

Erm...

James Brown Live at the Apollo Vol. 2
Everything by Tom Waits since Swordfishtrombones
Take It From The Man by the Brian Jonestown Massacre
Howl by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Suicide by Suicide
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis
The White Stripes by The White Stripes

flyingrodent said...

Agree much, but not all.

For me, that's the wrong Pavement album - any fule kno it should be Brighten The Corners.

And no "Nevermind", "There's a Riot Goin' On", "Ill Communication", "Parallel Lines", "Raw Power", "Ritual De Lo Habitual", "Kind of Blue", "Electric Ladyland", "Swordfishtrombones" or "Surfer Rosa"?

For shame, Ill Man!

(P.S. I think John forgot to mention his great love for "Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits)

flyingrodent said...

Agree much, but not all.

For me, that's the wrong Pavement album - any fule kno it should be Brighten The Corners.

And no "Nevermind", "There's a Riot Goin' On", "Ill Communication", "Parallel Lines", "Raw Power", "Ritual De Lo Habitual", "Kind of Blue", "Electric Ladyland", "Swordfishtrombones" or "Surfer Rosa"?

For shame, Ill Man!

(P.S. I think John forgot to mention his great love for "Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits)

iLL Man said...

John - Cheers for those.Kind Of Blue is certainly one I forgot to add.

FR - Both would be fine by me. CRCR shades it for me though. Of the others, Surfer Rosa is an obvious ommission.

Billy said...

BRIGHTEN THE CORNERS???!!!
BRIGHTEN THE CORNERS???!!!

Slanted and Enchanted for me.

nmj said...

ill man, i'm with you on marquee moon.

iLL Man said...

Billy, Slanted & Enchanted is ok by me, but it's the bits and bobs that surround it I love ('Here', Watery Domestic EP, some other bits and bobs.

I still think Brighten The Corners wouldn'tlook out of place in any list though.

nmj - Marquee Moon was the first piece of vinyl I ever bought. It's also stuck with me through the years as a wonderful piece of music. Adventure isn't bad either....