Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Ill Man Temperance Society Is Now Recruiting

I have what you might call a wee affection for the drink. I nudge the turps a little too hard, and though I don't see myself as a full blown alky and i'm generally able to function day to day, I know that the best part of four pints a night is a bit much. It certainly affects my performance at work.

I had no alcohol on sunday and as a result I bounced merrily through monday like a scruffy Butlins Red Coat, indiscriminately smiling at innocent bystanders, cheerfully bashing through my work and not getting enraged at the niggling computer problems that plague my day. Last night I necked six bottles of beer and woke up feeling sluggish and queasy. I sleepwalked my way through the day and came home exhausted

All pretty much self explanatory so far. Drink yer tits off at night and you will generally feel shite the next day. Don't do it. It's not that simple though, the lure of the offy on the way home can be too much sometimes, especially if you've had a thoroughly rotten day. It's only matched by the lure of the scud mag shop. Sometimes I visit both and have done with it.

Money to burn boy, that's your problem..............

It seems to have become a ritual. Eat dinner then crack them open. I usually drink the lot(to be fair I don't buy vast quantities....) but it's become a drag now. I shall experiment with only drinking at weekends, maybe the odd school night if the occasion calls for it......Wish me luck.

Anyway, i'm drinking tea just now. I'd say it's a perfect cup. Just the correct balance of milk and tea, you know that way when it goes down smooth as a nut with a nice tannin-ey aftertaste playing across the tip of yer tongue guv'ner......

Luvly. I'll maybe have another, and another and................you see where this is going. I'm not an addict but I will do something until it hurts generally..........

Cheers!

3 comments:

Old Knudsen said...

Take it easy on yer lad, lad,that kind of love doesn't have to hurt.

Anonymous said...

I've been two nights without red wine because I knew I'd be drinking at a friend's house tonight...and I still feel sluggish. Think my diet's to blame.

Anyway, lots of luck to you. :)

iLL Man said...

Too right Old Knudsen. Only three times a night instead of six....

Jules, i'm definitely feeling better without it. I'd rather get properly pissed a few days a week than just drink habitually.